2009/48/EC Regulation on the safety of toys
The Toy Safety Directive 2009/48/EC applies to products intended or designed to be used for play by children under 14 years of age. Special protection is given to children under 3 years of age. It is a CE directive, which means it requires an EU declaration of conformity and CE marking for the product.
Important information about this directive / Toy directive compact / Toy directive guide:
- Do you have questions about the Toy Directive Packaging? We will be happy to advise you - please contact us!
- Toy Directive EN 71: This standard is the European standard for the safety of toys. More about the standard? Get in touch.
- Toy Directive Drone / Toy Directive Drones: since January 2021, the new EU Drone Regulation 2021 applies. To what extent the two directives are related, we will be happy to explain to you personally.
These products are affected by the Toy Directive
Almost all products placed on the market for the purpose of play for children under 14 years of age fall within the scope. However, the person placing the product on the market is not free to do so: products that entice children to play can also fall under the Toys Directive. However, most sports equipment and leisure articles are not affected.
Examples of affected articles:
- Wooden toys of all kinds
- Toys made of plastics
- Stuffed animals
- Board games
- and many more
Legally compliant implementation of the Toys Directive
The Toy Safety Directive requires a risk assessment to be carried out on the product. The result of this assessment produces a list of tests that must be carried out on the product. The findings from the test reports are part of the product's technical documentation and form the basis of the EU declaration of conformity to be drawn up.
We help them to implement the respective product requirements with our customer-oriented services.
-> Only those who act in compliance with the law are safely protected from official sanctions. We help you to implement the necessary measures.
Minimize your risk and act now! Free webinars on Product Compliance
Our advice on Toys Directive
- Basic consulting at a fair & transparent price
- Product compliance for online stores (e-commerce)
- Determination of the relevant requirements for your products
- Preparation of risk analyses and assessments
- Selection of suitable test laboratories
- Evaluation of your test reports
- Review of your product's labeling for legal compliance