Low Voltage Directive (LVD)
The Low Voltage Directive addresses electrical equipment with a voltage of more than 50 V AC and more than 75 V DC. The Low Voltage Directive claims to cover not only electrical risks but also all other risks related to product safety and thus includes the requirements of the General Product Safety Directive 2001/95/EC. Note on CE marking Low Voltage Directive: It is a CE Directive, i.e. it requires an EU Declaration of Conformity and CE marking for the product.
Important notes on this directive / low voltage directive compact:
- A Declaration of Conformity Low Voltage Directive sample / Declaration of Conformity Low Voltage Directive sample PDF in German can be found here at IHK Koblenz.
- Low Voltage Directive harmonized standards: According to the Implementing Decision (EU) 2019/1956 of the European Commission of 26/11/2019, the harmonized standards lead to an influence on the Low Voltage Directive 2019. We will be happy to advise you if you have any questions about this.
- Translation Low voltage directive German = Niederspannungsrichtlinie
- Low voltage directive abbreviation = LVD or NSR (abbreviation German)
- There is a relationship between the Low Voltage Directive & the Machinery Directive. Certain products from the Machinery Directive fall under the scope of the NSR. Do you have questions about this point? Please do not hesitate to contact us.
These devices are affected by the Low Voltage Directive
Almost all products that are electrically operated via the household mains are affected. Exceptions are, however, e.g.
- Machines according to the directive 2006/42/EG
- Medical devices according to Directive 93/42/EEC
- Radio equipment according to Directive 2014/53/EU
Legally compliant implementation of the Low Voltage Directive
The Low Voltage Directive requires the preparation of a risk assessment of the product for implementation. The result of this assessment produces a list of tests that must be performed on the product. The findings from the test reports are part of the product's technical documentation and form the basis of the EU declaration of conformity to be drawn up.
We help you to implement the respective product requirements with our customer-oriented services.
-> Only those who act in compliance with the law are safely protected from official sanctions. We help you to implement the necessary measures.
Our advice on Low Voltage Directive
- Determination of the requirements relevant for your products
- Basic consulting at a fair & transparent price
- Product compliance for online stores (e-commerce)
- Preparation of risk analyses and assessments
- Selection of suitable test laboratories
- Evaluation of your test reports
- Preparation of the EU declaration of conformity
- Verification of your product's labeling for legal compliance